Research Programs at Table Mountain Observatory
Programs at TMO include:
- High precision astrometric observations in support of
NASA and international spacecraft mission navigation.
- The LCROSS impact on the Moon.
- Confirmation and recovery of Near-Earth Objects
(comets and asteroids) that pose a potential impact hazard to the Earth.
- Physical characterization of spacecraft mission
targets (planets, satellites, comets, and asteroids)
- Physical characterization of Near-Earth Objects and
support for Goldstone radar studies of NEOs.
- Observations of unique events such as the Deep
Impact encounter with Comet Tempel 1, and stellar occultations by
planets, satellites, and asteroids.
- Survey of orbital debris at geosynchronous altitude
- All-sky camera to record very bright meteors
(bolides) for Sandia
- Volatile transport on Pluto and Triton.
- Astronomical research into studies of the solar
system and beyond.
- New technology testing for hardware developed at JPL.